So I come from a long line of "foodies". We love to cook and create new recipes. I love making family recipes and feel like its one way to carry on the Pourciau legacy. My grandparents put together a family cookbook for me and gave it to me on my wedding day. It is the most used cookbook in my kitchen! I cherish it! I also have the need to cook like an old lady. I have several things on my list that I would like to make and Im working hard to accomplish my goal. My great grandparents were avid cooks. I remember them even making the Wednesday night supper at one our churches. They had a restaurant at one time. I would love to be able to go back in time and visit it for just one day and sit at the counter and soak up their knowledge:

I was trying to decide what to make for Mother's Day. My dad used to always make our family recipe for spaghetti which is great but just a little different than the usual (just like a Pourciau). He would be in the kitchen all day making it. You had to watch and constantly stir and taste and add this and that. My mom recently updated the recipe so that you could make it in the crock-pot. Now, that is more my style! I even used one of the bowls from my great grandparents' kitchen to mix up the meatballs. I love this bowl. You can even see the marks from where they stirred things in it as they made countless things. As I was mixing up the meatballs, I thought of this. I got all nostalgic thinking about it and wondering what new recipes they came up with using this exact bowl.

I think I called my mom at least 3 times to make sure the meatballs were right as they baked.

Pretty sure that Paw Paw Pourciau did not look up the recipe on his iPhone while making things in his kitchen:

And, I know he did not use the crock-pot to get the perfect "cooked all day" flavor:

The finished product. It turned out great. I tasted just like last time Dad made it. So glad that I now have this added to my list and that I can make it for my family and pass down this tradition:

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms in my life!
1 comments:
Hey Casey,
Poppa and I love the stuff about your great grandparents, as well as the goats!
You are right, you would have loved sitting in their restaurant, which was really more of a diner. It was cool....counter seats with stools that turned round and round, plus lots of talk from everyone.
Many of the world's problems were solved right there.
Much love.....G.
Post a Comment